Listed in Appraisal, Bankruptcy, Corporate Governance, Finance, Investments, Management, Real Estate, Real Estate Appraisal, Real Estate Operations
Education and Credentials:
Stanford University – Graduate School of Business
Master’s in Business Administration (1972)
Georgia Institute of Technology
Bachelor of Science – Aerospace Engineering (1968)
Commercial Real Estate Finance Council/Commercial Mortgage Securities Association –
• Served as charter member of the board of directors of the Commercial Mortgage Securities Association (now, Commercial Real Estate Finance Council), developing standards for the emerging industry and serving as co-chair of the first three annual CMSA open conventions.
• Following the onset of the recent capital markets crisis, served on the CMBS 2.0 CREFC Model Reps and Warranties Committee and chaired the sub-committee designing new proposed Pooling and Servicing Agreement language for retention of risk through improved resolution of breaches of representations and warranties via means other than litigation.
Other professional associations, past and present, include:
• National Association of Corporate Directors (NY and Carolinas chapters)
• Turnaround Management Association
• Regional Plan Association of NY, NJ, and CT
• Urban Land Institute
• Charleston Symphony Orchestra
• Friends of the Lowcountry Lowline
• Coastal Community Foundation of South Carolina
• National Endowment for the Humanities – South Carolina Council
• Trident 2000, Inc.
• Crown NorthCorp, Inc.
• Commercial Real Estate Finance Council
• Berkeley-Charleston-Dorchester Regional Council of Governments
Licenses and Coursework
• Licensed real estate broker – South Carolina (Inactive Registration)
• Coursework – Certified Insolvency and Reorganization Advisor (CIRA I, II, and III)
Commercial mortgage loan origination, underwriting, servicing, and securitization; breaches of representations and warranties in the sale of commercial mortgage loans to commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) trusts; franchise lending; breach of contract; standard of care (breach of fiduciary duty); customary real estate and financial services industry practices and procedures; lender liability; reporting; valuation; discounting of equities in closely-held companies; loan defaults; collection and foreclosure; resolution of defaulted loans; bankruptcy; damages; material and adverse effect; insurance claims resolution; borrower/guarantor recourse; CMBS non-recourse carve-outs; post-closing insolvency; commercial real estate markets and trends; qualified rehabilitation of historic properties; preservation and conservation easements; covenants, conditions, and restrictions (CCRs); 1-4 family residential development; residential and commercial condominium regimes; property owners’ associations; architectural review boards; and real estate regulatory and public policy matters, including land use, zoning, entitlements, eminent domain, and tax-increment financing.
Professional career in management consulting, asset management, and structured finance, as well as non-profit management and public policy work. Private sector activities include: commercial real estate portfolio management (both debt and equity); non-performing commercial mortgage loan and franchise finance debt resolution; commercial mortgage and CMBS servicing and special servicing; corporate restructuring and bankruptcy services (for both debtors and creditors); financial institution restructuring and recapitalization; insurance claims resolution; and litigation management, litigation consulting, and expert witness testimony. Non-profit and public sector work has included foundation management and comprehensive urban and regional development initiatives, on both a compensated and pro-bono basis. Retired partner in Deloitte & Touche and Deloitte Consulting in the firm’s real estate capital markets, reorganization services, and financial services industry practices, with postings in both the U.S. and Asia.
Years in Practice: 35
Number of Times Deposed/Testified in Last 4 Yrs: Submitted expert report - 5 times; deposed 2 times; testified in court - 2 times
Independent consultant in real estate and real estate capital markets, including litigation consulting, expert witness testimony, valuation, bankruptcy and restructuring, strategy and operations advisory, and process re-engineering. Portfolio manager, with specialized experience in managing distressed debt portfolios. Retained consultant on large property negotiations and dispute resolution.
Please login or register to add your review.