- PO Box 760, Los Gatos, CA 95031
MBA in Finance and Operations Management from the University of San Diego Graduate School of Business
Bachelor of Science in Business Logistics from Arizona State University WP Carey School of Business
Licensed United States Customs Broker and an Area Response Designee, US Department of Transportation and Federal Emergency Management Agency.
Credentialed Adjunct Professor of Business, California Colleges and Universities. Has taught:
• Management and Supervision
• Supply Chain Management
• Logistics and Distribution
• Statistical Analysis and Decision Making
• World Class Manufacturing
• International Business Management
• Importing and Exporting
Ms. Coates currently teaches Supply Chain Architecture at the University of California Berkeley. She has lectured at the Drucker School of Management at Claremont University, the University of San Diego, Arizona State University, and Northwestern Polytechnic University. Additionally, she has taught Management and Supply Chain courses on-site at many Silicon Valley companies. She also presents public workshops on Sourcing and Manufacturing in China (in the US and Asia), Reshoring, and Strategic Negotiations for Industrial Buyers.
Ms. Coates is a Board Member at the University of San Diego Supply Chain Institute. She is active in the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals, the Institute for Supply Management. She frequently speaks at conferences and seminars. She is a member of China Business Network, Internationalization Engineers of Silicon Valley and a Past Board Member of Asia America Management Association of Silicon Valley. She is an active coach, mentor and blogger on Supply Chain Management Review, and Blue Silk Consulting.
Ms. Coates is a member of Reuter’s Insight, a Community of Experts; and Gerson Lehrman Group Experts where she consults on Supply Chain matters.
• Assisted attorneys in their understanding of relevant supply chain operations and practices in sourcing, logistics, distribution, manufacturing, inventory and import/export trade compliance, and systems implementations
• Opined on:
– China Sourcing and Manufacturing
– Chinese Products: Electronics, Toys, Apparel, Plastics, Automotive
– Procurement Processes and Contracts
– Outsourcing – Business Process and Technology
– Software Patents
– Import/Export Management
– Securities related to Supply Chain
– Sales Channel Distribution and Compensation
– Supply Contracts
– Inventory Tax
– Global Manufacturing Operations, Contract Manufacturing, CMS, EMS
– Transportation and Logistics, 3PLs and Freight Forwarders, Freight Shipping, Warehousing
– Eminent Domain
– Project Management for Enterprise Software ERP Systems – SAP, Oracle and others including Trade Compliance in Cross-Border Shipping
– ERP Software Consulting Implementation Failures and Runaway Projects
• Written expert reports and research briefs
• Testified in deposition and arbitration, and at trial
Ms. Coates is the President of Blue Silk Consulting. She is an executive with an MBA and 25 years of experience in Supply Chain Management, Project Management and ERP Systems Implementation Consulting.
Ms. Coates has consulted with global and domestic clients on systems and processes. She has considerable international experience and has worked for extended periods in Asia and Europe.
She has extensive knowledge and experience in manufacturing and outsourcing in China. She has authored five books (including an Amazon.com Best Seller book): 42 Rules for Sourcing and Manufacturing in China; Negotiation Blueprinting for Buyers; 42 Rules for Superior Field Service; Reshoring Guidebook; and Legal Blacksmith.